Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhinogobius zhoui
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Bottom-dwellers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay on this... too many other things.

Well, not a complete failure, but not as good as it could be.

The 2nd male did not achieve anything ... there might have been a spawn but the eggs were eaten or abandoned within a couple of days. This likely was my fault -- I forgot to make an important change to the tank setup ... yet one more case when I had it in the back of my mind, switched to other things and never did what was a 5 minute job.

The alpha male spawn had a different problem and this one I cannot diagnose. I removed the eggs after 9 days -- this is a bit early, but to make sure that I can try to save premature birth babies.

There were 9 eggs -- fewer than there should have been, 12 is about the right number. And they started hatching right away, all hatched within one day. Not usual, and I suspect there was some unknown factor at play... the lower number of 9 might have been because 3 more hatched just before I removed the eggs.. and the gaps in the eggs arrangement argues for this too. No idea as to why.

out of 9 hatches, 1 died right away, 3 more within a few days, 5 reached the state when they could move freely (still with the sac) and these 5 all survived -- I checked on them yesterday, look fine, eating fine.

So 5/9 = 55% vs previous time of 8/13=62% .... looks like a little worse, but in reality this might have been 5/12 or 5/13 which is a lot worse, and again I do not know why.

It would be nice to perfect the zhui raising process .. the survival numbers are actually quite good comparing to my previous experience or what Jutta said about hers... but they are also horrible comparing to duospilus which somehow manage to come close to full survival.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Bottom-dwellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: