Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ctenogobius shufeldti

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Gobies/Gudgeons
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikev

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Ctenogobius shufeldti Reply with quote

This is a about the most mysterious fish I've ever had. The problem is not keeping them -- they do fine for the last six months and doubled in size -- but to understand how the darned things may reproduce.

Unlike most other gobies these are not territorial, interaction between the individuals is next to nothing, and they are totally uninterested in caves of any kind.

And it appears that no one in the world knows anything about them -- rather odd because it is a US species (the only true goby in the US besides the invader rhinos) and someone should have looked at them ... but not.
Colin_T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

they remind me of a few marine gobies we have around Perth and the southwest of Western Australia. One is a bridled goby (a brackish water species that also occurs in seawater). the other goby being a blue spotted goby that is purely marine. Both of these gobies grow to over 5 inches and don't mature until after 1 year. Both are fine in groups.

There is a possibility that the goby you have does not mature until it is a year old and then you might want to put sand in the bottom instead of gravel. Have some flat rocks for them and other rocks they can dig under.

I have seen gobies here that lay eggs in depressions in the sand, others that lay eggs on smooth flat rocks, in caves, inside and on top of pvc pipe, and underneath rocks.

Give them time, more spawning sites and see what happens over the next 12 months Smile
mikev

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Colin,

I posted it here hoping for some comments from you or Adrian... one problem is that I have no idea what these ctenos might be related to, phylogeny is missing, and while at one point rhinogobius were called ctenogobius, there is nothing in common between the two.

If you happen to know scientific names of the suspected relatives please let me know.

You may be correct about what you suggested:

The fish is still growing, the largest is 3+ now, and I feel the limit is 4" or perhaps even a bit above.
I was unable to sex them until a couple of months ago -- now I see that the males have a very weak red edge on the 2nd dorsal, anal and caudal fins -- it was not there previously.

You well may be correct about sand -- I'll need to redo the tank, they are on gravel now.

I just hope that saltwater is not a part of it .... if the fish needs to migrate to the estuary or even sea, I'm screwed.

And -- whining! -- it is freaking shame that the US has exactly one goby and it is long-described and NANFA is absolutely useless! (BTW the US also seem to have exactly one gudgeon, and there is even less info on it, with the goby at least a couple of people admitted to seeing it!)
Colin_T

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bridled Goby, Arenigobius bifrenatus is not related or I doubt it is related to your goby but it was the first thing I thought of when I saw yours. see link below.

http://australianmuseum.net.au/bridled-goby-arenigobius-bifrenatus-kner-1865

the blue spotted goby I mentioned is the wrong fish I was thinking about. I was thinking of the blue spotted blenny (Istiblennius meleagris) not a goby. The blenny looks nothing like the goby but my brain not work good now.... Smile
mikev

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha. Thanks. Bridled goby is possibly related, the pattern is wrong, but the body shape/head shape/fin shapes are quite similar. I'll try to find more on it.
Very Happy

Actually I found a bit of info on ctenos Very Happy

http://gobiidae.com/fl_goby_list.htm

So there are several species, not one, my ID was probably correct (pattern matches), but I really do not like the phrase in the description
Quote:
Low salinity, upper esturine marshes. Often enters fresh water

It is pretty clear it can live in fresh water long time (> 6 months now fine) but this smells like they reproduce in saltwater .. and what is "low salinity" anyway?
Colin_T

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you probably won't find much info on the bridled goby. Virtually nobody has kept them in captivity except me and maybe a couple of other people. Mine however did well in a freshwater tank with rainbows and primarily fresh water with a handful of salt I put in every water change. The tank was 4 foot long x 14inches wide x 18 inches high and had about 3inches of fine gravel in. It had live aquatic plants that did well and had a huge piece of driftwood in the middle along with some clay flower pots that were cut in half and used as caves by the gobies and purple spotted gudgeons in the tank. I guess the salt level was about 3/4 of a cup of salt and 120-130?litres of water.

It wasn't excessively salty and where I caught them (Moore River at Guilderton) was freshwater at the time but it was an estuary that had a sand bar separating it from the ocean. The bar would open several times a year and turn it salty but in winter it was primarily fresh. The substrate where I caught them was white sand (almost like beach sand and probably was because there were sand dunes there) on the top with hard mud under the sand. No plants but lots of driftwood, tree roots and a few shells.

Mine would eat anything and liked to hang out inside the half flower pot caves but they also moved around the tank quite a bit.

I had mine for a couple of years but don't remember what happened to them. I probably killed them like everything else Sad

--------------------------
re low salinity. any salt level that is less than half strength seawater, and usually less than 1/4 strength seawater. They should breed in brackish and not need full marine to lay eggs but I could be wrong. My guess tho is they will breed in 1/2 to 1/3 strength seawater, maybe less. Just wait and let them mature and see how things go. If they show no interest in breeding once they are older than 18months, then add salt and see what happens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Gobies/Gudgeons All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: