Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Emerald Rasbora

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gecko5150

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Emerald Rasbora Reply with quote

Thought I was done buying fish for a while, since I am enthralled with the rainbows I have.

However, yesterday I stopped by a great LFS, and saw these and had to get some. I got 5 of them for $20. They seem to be very cool little fish.

I thought they would be fun to put into my 10g Supreme Red Cherry shrimp tank that has a very large Java Fern and no other fishes.

I figure if they eat a few juvie shrimps, no big deal.

No pic of my own, but here is a good read on them:

http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-exclusives/aquarium-fish-international/emerald-dwarf-rasbora.aspx

Mark

edit: grammer durrrr

Last edited by gecko5150 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrgh... interesting: article by Hellweg, photo by Lange!

The fish is officially a danio now, Danio erythromicron, and known to be a very close relative of CPD. One of my favorites, I keep two tanks of them Sad they should not do too much damage to shrimps, but I'm not sure if Java Fern is enough for them to feel safe, my tanks are half-filled with Najas... the more plants, the better.

And if there is enough plant cover and you feed them well, some fry may survive.... I get natural fry if the number of adults in the tank is around 5, with 10+ this never happens.
gecko5150

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, didn't even notice that Gary took the photo.

They just struck me as being so cool looking, and I like small fish sometimes.

Did a massive water change - 80% - before introducing them so the tank could also act as a quarantine tank. My fish all seem to be doing well, so I have been in a kind of "no new fish - no new dangers" mode, lol.

They were $4.99ea and they gave me 5 for $20. Even better, I had $120 in store credit available. And I got a couple without strong banding figuring those might be females. 5 should be sufficient for a 10g, right?

In regards to the plants, this is the tank. The photo was taken in Nov and I haven't really trimmed since then. All the stems are growing out of the sponge filter, lol. They seem content swimming around in the jungle.

They seem to hover a lot like a hummingbird looking for food. Just cool little fish I never knew existed before.

Mark
mikev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can put more into 10g, and in this tank you will not see any "natural" fry anyway: not enough cover and sand substrate makes it certain that the eggs will be eaten (I use gravel).

Yes, females have very faint stripes, sometimes almost no stripes.

They love artemia, btw. I normally do not see mine, only artemia makes them come to the front.

They are indeed very cute, but there are many other little cute fishes.....
mikev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. and btw another type of fish that will do great in this tank would be dwarf cory or aspidora.
Noahma

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are one of my favorite nano fish. the colors they can produce when happy are amazing. My only gripe is that they tend to be very skittish and hide when they can. As it sits now I have a fluval flora with a few of them that are about 3-4 years old and a bunch of ruby tetras.
nimmy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the article.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: