Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

This is not a Goyder River, but what is it then?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Identification
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elcook

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: This is not a Goyder River, but what is it then? Reply with quote

Hello

This beautiful rainbow was sold to me as trifasciata "Goyder River" but I'm pretty sure it's not.

It looks closer to a "Running Creek", although mine look way more colorful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-fvV3haZm0

I would love to be able to identify it. Am I looking at an hybrid?

I had the fish for six months at the time I made the video.

Thank you
AlexJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:25 am    Post subject: Crossing rainbow Reply with quote

Hello, The larger of the two fish in your video is a hybrid commonly called "Crossing Rainbow" if you Google this name you will find out more information regarding this particular hybrid. some people love them and others dislike them , unfortunately there are many hybrid rainbow fish being sold to unsuspecting buyers, some retail outlets do sell them as hybrids and whilst i don't personally agree with it , at least buyers are aware of what they are buying, equally some stores sell them as a specific species which doesn't help and can cause disappointment to people new to keeping rainbow fish.
elcook

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Crossing rainbow Reply with quote

AlexJ wrote:
Hello, The larger of the two fish in your video is a hybrid commonly called "Crossing Rainbow" if you Google this name you will find out more information regarding this particular hybrid. some people love them and others dislike them , unfortunately there are many hybrid rainbow fish being sold to unsuspecting buyers, some retail outlets do sell them as hybrids and whilst i don't personally agree with it , at least buyers are aware of what they are buying, equally some stores sell them as a specific species which doesn't help and can cause disappointment to people new to keeping rainbow fish.

Thank you so much for your insight Alex!

It does look exactly like a "Crossing Rainbow".

I'm feeling a bit cheated. Rainbows are only now becoming common here, and there's not a lot of people mantaining them. That's what you get for buying online

It is a beautiful fish nonetheless.

I've got 5 other rainbows, a bit younger that those two. All males. Is it true that submissive males might have a different coloration? I'll try and post a few pictures later.
AlexJ

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you feel cheated about the crossing rainbows but i fully understand why. Not sure where you are based but it would help if you can put a country location on your profile , it will make it easier to connect with people who are at least on the same continent. It is true that some male fish can show less colour and be more subdued in the presence of a dominate male, i have seen this in my own fish occasionally.
elcook

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlexJ wrote:
Sorry to hear you feel cheated about the crossing rainbows but i fully understand why. Not sure where you are based but it would help if you can put a country location on your profile , it will make it easier to connect with people who are at least on the same continent. It is true that some male fish can show less colour and be more subdued in the presence of a dominate male, i have seen this in my own fish occasionally.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, had some pretty hectic days lately.

I live in Lisbon, Portugal. Most rainbows I've seen around here are the Melanotaenia praecox or boesemani.

I bought these ones online from two different places, as trifasciata. I should have asked for photos.

Nevertheless, the fish are beautiful and get along just fine in my tank.

I'll try and post more pictures on Monday.

Thanks again for your help
AlexJ

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to apologise ☺i have no idea what the rainbow fish scene is like in portugal , here in the UK things are much better than they were even a few years ago, more true species are becoming available , mainly due to people joining the IRG and then obtaining eggs or young fish from other members in Europe. There are also a few stores that are now stocking true species , but of course there are still plenty of shops here who are selling hybrid fish as true species or passing off one species as a toally different one, as you have experienced. Not sure if you are aware but there are a few Facebook groups dedicated to rainbows, blue eyes etc, can be a good way of connecting with other keepers near or within your own country. Pictures are always welcome so looking forward to seeing some of yours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Identification All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: