Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Breeding question for dwarf rainbow fish.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adot111

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Breeding question for dwarf rainbow fish. Reply with quote

Hello, everyone, I am new here, and also a newbie for breeding rainbow fish.

Now, I have a couple dwarf rainbow fish in my breeding tank. I use mop for collecting eggs.
Since last week, I start to get about 10-15 eggs every day. I took the eggs from the mop and put them in a container which is floating on the top of the breeding tank.

I have two questions

1. When the rainbow fish will stop breeding? Also, if they go back to main fish tank, will the female breeding again in the future?

2. The eggs start hatching three days ago, but the problem is I don't have any fry food for them, tried the egg yolk, and crashed flake food, but doesn't work. The fry just keep dying. Any suggestion?

Thanks advance
Rob M

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum and breeding rainbows!

1) Healthy fish should continue breeding until they die.

2) If you have any live aquatic plants in other tanks you can try putting them in with the fry now. They will have some microorganisms they the fry might eat. Then try to find some Sera Micron, Hikari First Bites or Golden Pearls. You might try going to your Local Fish Store and see if they have any other types of fry food, it may not be the best but might be enough until you get one of the previously mentioned products.

Good luck!
adot111

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob M wrote:
Welcome to the forum and breeding rainbows!

1) Healthy fish should continue breeding until they die.

2) If you have any live aquatic plants in other tanks you can try putting them in with the fry now. They will have some microorganisms they the fry might eat. Then try to find some Sera Micron, Hikari First Bites or Golden Pearls. You might try going to your Local Fish Store and see if they have any other types of fry food, it may not be the best but might be enough until you get one of the previously mentioned products.

Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, Rob
For the first question, if I keep them in the breeding tank, the female will lay eggs every day until she die?

Is there any way to stop them breeding and also in the same tank?

Thanks
Rob M

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For the first question, if I keep them in the breeding tank, the female will lay eggs every day until she die?

Pretty much, as long as they are healthy they keep spawning.

Quote:
Is there any way to stop them breeding and also in the same tank?

This is funny, I asked a similar question a few years ago when first getting into rainbows. The answer I got was to just stop looking for eggs in the mops Laughing
mikev

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adot111 wrote:

Not quite.... old age is also a factor, fish may stop breeding and still live for a number of years. Just like people Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Breeding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: