Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M "species" Ifaupan WAS ID'd as M. misoolensis

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowfish

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: M "species" Ifaupan WAS ID'd as M. misoolensis Reply with quote

While I was shooting today I thought I would post a photo and a note as there are several people in the states that now have this fish. When Kent and I obtained this fish from Heiko several years ago he told us that it was M. misoolensis. I have sold this fish since then by that name and it should be noted that Peter Unmack also sold some by the same name. I was told by Heiko when we met in Canada for a workshop that it is not misoolensis but rather a new species. For the time being refer to it as:
M. sp. "Ifaupan" from Misool Island. This fish has been rather shy for me and when I've added it to a brightly lit photo tank it lost all of it's colors completely. Maybe I'll pop it into a community tank with some other rainbowfish and perhaps it will keep some of the colors that I have seen it display. I'm not especially happy with the colors in these photos as they do get brighter. I don't keep a lot of light on the tank as that seems to panic them. (your results may vary). Below is a male.

And this is the female:

Anyway, thought you should know.

Gary
aaronl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks i did get some of these from peter. i will will keep looking for the update on the actual name. thanks aaron
newbowman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some of these fish from AB early last year sold as misoolensis, but now I am wondering if this is a female "Ifaupan" variety that is the fish in question. Are there any real misoolensis in the states? My fish looks a lot like Gary's photo. (I think Question ) This thread is from 2009, so any updates?

Smile I like the fish regardless, but I need to get a few more and would like to know what it is I am getting. Confused
taoyeah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice picture of a female,this is a beautiful fish when it color up.Smile an pictures of the males?
newbowman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Taoyeah, that's the problem...only 2 surviving females. four fish died within a few weeks of getting them early last year, shipping problems (ammonia burn, disease...I don't know? treated them in QT...mystery, could not save them ) Sad Hopefully I can still go to the original source to get more...but would just like to know what they are for sure. They have a beautiful olive green color with the copper stripe, really nice. I like them a lot and would like to raise more. Gary's photo is better than mine of course, but do you think mine is the same as Gary's fish?
taoyeah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt have much experience with this specie.fish died in a month after i obtained them.but i saw them in my friend's tank.the male looks amazing.wish you can get the males soon.
808bows

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pics of M. flavipinnis. Its a species that needs your patience. These are my 2nd generation from Eric B.
Yataffe07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: M "species" Ifaupan WAS ID'd as M. misoolensis Reply with quote

rainbowfish wrote:
While I was shooting today I thought I would post a photo and a note as there are several people in the states that now have this fish. When Kent and I obtained this fish from Heiko several years ago he told us that it was M. misoolensis. I have sold this fish since then by that name and it should be noted that Peter Unmack also sold some by the same name. I was told by Heiko when we met in Canada for a workshop that it is not misoolensis but rather a new species. For the time being refer to it as:
M. sp. "Ifaupan" from Misool Island. This fish has been rather shy for me and when I've added it to a brightly lit photo tank it lost all of it's colors completely. Maybe I'll pop it into a community tank with some other rainbowfish and perhaps it will keep some of the colors that I have seen it display. I'm not especially happy with the colors in these photos as they do get brighter. I don't keep a lot of light on the tank as that seems to panic them. (your results may vary). Below is a male.
transfers reims

And this is the female:

Anyway, thought you should know.

Gary

What a beautif fish, I want them all
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Rainbows All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: