Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rainbows questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Rainbowfish General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFJR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Rainbows questions Reply with quote

Hi, i've been making some research but still so many doubts about how to keep rainbows, so many questions....

The ratio male/female - some sites say:
less than 5 - keep only males
6 = 3m+3f
7 = 4m+3f
8 = 4m+4f
9 = 5m+4f and more than that no matter...
Is this ratio true for rainbows?

Different species will school together?

Can I mix male and female?

An example to my questions:
In a aquarium with 200 liter this group will be fine?
M.Parkinsonii - 3 males + 2 females
M. Praecox - 3 males + 2 females
Bedotia madagascariensis - 3 males + 2 females

Or its better all males?
Colin_T

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hopefully I can help offer some info, albeit somewhat after you asked Smile

Rainbowfish are schooling fish and need to be kept in groups of 6 or more. You can mix any rainbowfish that grow to similar sizes, in a community tank, but if you want to breed them, make sure you only have one species in the breeding tank to prevent hybrids.

The main thing with mixing species is to keep similar sized fish so they all get a share of food and the real big fish don't pick on (or eat) the small ones. This is not normally an issue with adult rainbowfish but if you put juveniles into a tank with full grown fish, the small ones might get eaten.

Ratios of males/ females are not really anything to be concerned about if you have a group of 10 or more fish in the tank.

If you have 3 fish then get 1 male and 2 females. If you have 2 males and 1 female the males can bully the female a lot.

if you have 4 fish then go for 2 prs.

5 fish, have 2 males and 3 females. If you have 3 males the 2 bigger/ dominant ones can bully the third male and cause it to suffer a bit.

6 fish, go for 3 prs.

7 fish, either 2 males and 5 females, or 4 males and 3 females. 4 males will hopefully keep each other occupied and shouldn't bully the 3 females.

in your 200 litre tank, I would have 2 male parkinsoni and 3 females. Same with the Bedotia sp (2m and 3f). I would not keep M. praecox with parkinsoni due to the size difference. The praecox will struggle to get enough food and won't do as well when competing with the parkinsoni.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Rainbowfish General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: