Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible rainbow death due to agression
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Disease & Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowfishluvr82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have a case of gill flukes in my tank because a few of my fish have been flashing against rocks and other objects. I'm still feeding the food I made along with new life spectrum thera-a. I dosed yesterday with prazipro and still doing what changes every few days. Just lost one of my cory cats yesterday, however I don't think his death had anything to do with this. When I found his body he had no barbells. They were completely gone which I don't understand cause he was fine 2 days ago. I don't want to lose anymore fish so hopefully the medicated food and prazipro will help.
rainbowfishluvr82

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok after reading info on gill flukes I'm starting to think maybe it's ich inside their gills. This is so frustrating.
Colin_T

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been about 2 weeks since you first started feeding medicated food. If that was going to work it should have by now. I would personally drop the medicated food and treat the tank for protozoans. PraziPro might do this.

If you have vitamin/ mineral supplements for birds or fish, you can add that to their food once a day to help boost their immunity a bit. Live plants will do a similar thing for rainbowfish, and they should have plant matter in their diets all the time.

If the fish had ich (white spot) you would see little white dots on the body and fins. It's usually quite noticeable on the fins. If you have any new pics of the fish in the tank that might help.

White spot (ichthyophthirius) will cause fish to breathe heavily and rub against objects in the aquarium, but so do most external parasites.

When was the last time you added fish, plants or any live food to the tank?
I ask because white spot (ich) will normally show up on fish within a few days of being introduced into the aquarium. If you did not add any new fish or plants to the tank for a month or more before the first fish (male picta) died, then it is unlikely to be ich.

Having said all that, ich is a protzoan parasite that is quite easy to treat, and virtually all external protozoan infections can be treated the same way. Any protozoan treatment from a petshop should work. I used copper sulphate but use at half strength with scaleless fishes in the tank. Anything with malachite green & copper sulphate will treat virtually all protozoan infections in fish.

Salt can help, as can raising the temperature to 32degrees C. However, if you increase temperature or add medication, then you need to increase aeration/ surface turbulence to try and maximise the oxygen in the water.

Praziquantel might help with ich, but I can't remember what the dose is these days. Praziquantel is the main ingredient in dog and cat de-worming tablets and is very effective at treating fish for tapeworm and gill flukes. It does not affect most other worms tho.

To work out the volume of water in the tank,
measure length x width x height in cm.
divide by 1000
= volume in litres.

There is 3.785 litres in a US gallon and 4.5litres in a British gallon. No idea why you lot can't use the same scales Smile Medications can come from anywhere in the world so I prefer litres because it's more accurate.

Remove any carbon from filters before treating the tank and do not replace the carbon until after treatment is finished. Throw the used carbon away.

Do a big water change and complete gravel clean.

Clean the filter. Then treat the tank and continue treatment for a week after all symptoms have gone. You normally have to treat the tank for about 2 weeks total.

Malachite green is extremely toxic so wash your hands with soapy water after doing anything in the tank, and don't let any pets (besides the fish in the tank) come in contact with the treated tank water.

After the disease is gone add some new carbon to the filter for 24 hours. Then throw that carbon away. Do a massive water change and complete gravel clean several times before cleaning the filter and adding new carbon.

I think Mike use Flubendazole? for protozoan infections. Hopefully he might see this and recommend something else Smile
rainbowfishluvr82

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had anymore deaths and have even added some new platies to my tank and a kribensis cichlid. Everyone has been doing fine. Doing water changes every week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Disease & Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: