Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tatia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Bottom-dwellers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Tatia Reply with quote

Does anyone here have first hand experience with Tatia perugiae to answer a few questions?

(Yeah, I ventured in a new direction... Embarassed and these critters are certainly non-traditional.)
SCGeordie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw them listed on a Colombian exporters list, but apart from the info here http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/catfish/centromachlusprugiae.php haven't heard or seen anything else.
mikev

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a group of these chaps which seems to be stable.... but the questions unfortunately go beyond what the profiles offer.

What I need to know is the breeding size, and what else -- if anything -- can be kept together with them. Right now their tank is under-utilized, the cats are probably not yet breedable (3-4cm and I see no signs of breeding behavior or interest in each other) and I'm tempted to utilize it to raise killies or bows... unless there are reasons to think the fry will be quickly eaten.

(Far better profile, btw, is on Planet Catfish, but it still does not answer the question).
taoyeah

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how these guys doing? Smile
rainbowfish

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is Jeremy Basch's fish. I think is was just about 2 inches. The ones I had were much whiter. I can't seem to find any of those pictures at the moment. Mine seem to stay a lot smaller too. They are internal fertilization. The females will lay eggs inside of hollow driftwood. Don't overfeed. They go crazy if you put some freezedried bloodworms or just about anything in their water. It was amazing at how quick they could smell the food and come out for it.

mikev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

They seem to be fine and stable now. Not that I see much of them, they are under java moss and do not appreciate even room light.

Mine are black and white, no yellow (beautiful, by the way!), and barely 1.25"+ (I don't know if this means a smaller strain or immature?). And they do not believe in profiles: they all say "floating food" and "freeze dry bloodworms" -- heck, no. They are only interested in frozen bloodworms, and only from the ground -- but these are consumed hysterically.

Thanks for the hollow driftwood tip -- I'll try to find a piece. Gary, since you have kept them: any idea what is safe to put in the tank with them? These chaps are so different from all the fish I've kept so far that I'm not sure what will happen to tankmates.... but I'd rather have something (small bows, danios, killies?) swimming on top of the tank.

(Incidentally, the initial trouble I had was the shipping. The seller *knew* that one should ship them individually, and still packed two per bag... so the fish arrived beaten up with most of the fins damaged, one quickly dead, and the rest took some time to recover. I just cannot understand the idea of doing something he knows is wrong and hoping to get away with it...really felt like leaving a negative feedback.)
dave pauls

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Those are dopey looking fish! I love them.
newbowman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a friend of Sponge Bob Square Pants Laughing Very cool looking though Cool .
mikev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I think I know the answer to the question of their aggression level. Given that the tank was getting quite boring to look at (they are active only during feeding), I put a few Gardneri's to keep them company.. Gardneri's are slightly larger than Tatia, so the risk seemed small.

Well, the Gardneris survived. What is more interesting, they also doubled in numbers... this is quite puzzling given that the tank has no spawning media, no plant cover, and was not fed anything the fry can eat... and the fry, while hardy, is quite small initially.

A side note: I'm beginning to feel much better about using Killies as dither fish.. superior to rainbows or danios.

Now, the next experiment considered (and before doing this, I'm hoping for someone to opine): I'm thinking of putting a few juvenile fp.spoorenergi with Goo Obo's ... again, to make the tank a bit more entertaining. Any opinions on whether they may be molested? (The killies are about 1.25" now... they get to 3 or 4 ... the Goos are adult). This one I'm concerned about since these are the only spoorenbergi's I have ... I *think* they are a bit too young to breed too.
I had the goos for three years, but never experimented with top fish in their tank.
Speaker73

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on these fish? Did you get them to breed? I was going to get a batch of these last year but was forbidden from adding another tank to my collection.
mikev

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have them, but no breeding (not that I made an effort). Given that the fish is rarely visible (other than during feeding), I gave them killies for the tankmates. The mystery of the tank is that the killies are breeding, and some fry survives, despite no cover and no fry food.

Speaker73 wrote:
I was going to get a batch of these last year but was forbidden from adding another tank to my collection.

I know the problem. Sad My solution is the fish room so messy that my other half would not look in it... she thinks that i still have only 50 tanks, actually it is 3 times as many now.

but in retrospect I have some doubts. Nice looking fish, interesting to try, but I'm not sure they are interesting to keep long-term.
martialtheory

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the points you have told me about them, but I am still awe struck by them. I have a red LED light system and from what I heard, they cannot see in the red spectrum so I think it would be nice to keep them in a dark tank where I can see them with red lights.

If you are giving up on them, I would like to buy them from you. The other sellers have still yet to receive them. It seems hard to get lately.
mikev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check what Eric Bodrock is offering now.. .now that is indeed tempting!...
martialtheory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates please
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Bottom-dwellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: