Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure if Ivanacara adoketa is sick or hurt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Other Misc. Fishes & Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martialtheory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:24 am    Post subject: Not sure if Ivanacara adoketa is sick or hurt Reply with quote

Well completely different fish than rainbow but I'm hoping u guys can help me

So I got an lage Ivanacara adoketa male in the mail 2 days ago and I acclimated it. The other females are doing just fine but this male is inactive, lays on its side from time to time and doesn't eat. The seller told me that he used bag buddies which sedates the fish and will take a little while before they get back to normal. But its been 2 days and I'm not sure if this is normal

Its gotten me pretty nervous that it might be a swim bladder problem or that it got hurt in the bag

QT tank so please ignore the ugly ugly gravel

Please help
Colin_T

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never used bag buddies but if it's like MS222 then the fish is probably just recovering from the sedative.

Fish are like animals, birds and people in how they react to sedatives. Some are fine and come out of it quickly but others take a bit longer. Being a male they might have put a bit more in to make sure he was quiet during transport.

I would watch them over the next few days. He should come round.

Don't worry about him not eating because fish can go for months without food, and he isn't swimming about using up energy so he is not going to starve over the next week or so if he doesn't eat.

If the fish were sedated during transport then he is unlikely to have been injured. Let him rest and recover in his own time.

Increasing surface turbulence and water movement can sometimes help, but don't make it too rough so he gets washed around the tank. But a gentle current flowing around him will help bring in oxygenated water and circulate water over his gills so he should recover quicker.
martialtheory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true. I thought 2 days would be enough time for it to wear off.

Ok I'll continue to keep this conditions comfortable.

Thanks, I guess I'm just extra nervous since this was one of my dream fishes
Colin_T

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of google research into Bag Buddies for fish. Apparently it is or was a product manufacture by Jungle. The ingredients are sodium chloride (salt), potassium chloride (another type of salt), and clove oil.

Sodium chloride isn't an issue in low doses.

Potassium chloride, well I wouldn't use potassium in my tanks but people use to use potassium permanganate in tanks to treat fish. Potassium chloride is another salt but is it safe in a small volume of water? Who knows, maybe Adrian or Gary might.

Clove oil is used to sedate fish but if too much is used it can kill fish.

My previous post is probably still good but I would make sure there is a good volume of water in the tank to dilute any residual clove oil in the fish. Maybe add some activated carbon, and get water moving through the tank, but not too much water movement. Then see what happens over the next week or so. Smile

--------------------
On a side note, if anyone ever has to ship fish, the best way to do it is starve the fish for 24 hours before packing. Put the fish in a plastic bag with about 1/3 water and fill up with oxygen. Then seal and put in another bag and seal that one too. Put the bag in an esky to keep it dark and warm. The fish can survive in this bag for 24 hours or more without any issues as long as the temperature is correct for them.

You should not feed the fish before packing them because they will poop in the bag and create ammonia. The fish can also regurgitate the uneaten food and make more ammonia.

If the fish are only going to be bagged up for an hour or so, then 1/3 to 1/2 water in a bag, fill the rest of the bag with air from the room you are in, and seal it up. Double bag for safety, especially if catfish, cichlids or expensive fishies.

If you have to add something to the bag, just use a small piece of neutral block and a small sprinkling of Ammogon or something like that (ammonia neutraliser). The neutral block will help stablise the pH and the Ammogon will absorb ammonia from the water. Then add oxygen and seal the bag and wrap in a towel or put in an esky. The fish will be fine for a day as long as the temperature is good.
martialtheory

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I used potassium chloride in the past for plant dosing but in terms of toxicity, its very low and it hasn't harmed my fish in the past.

Ah interesting about the clove oil. Not a problem I been doing 80 percent water changes everyday hoping it will help.

He is somewhat active, fingers crossed that he will recover
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Other Misc. Fishes & Invertebrates All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: