Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pseudomugil signifer breeding pair
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
martialtheory

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah nothing so far. I'm just gonna give up for now. I have a nice pack of p. paskai thats almost ready to breed. I'll focus on them instead
martialtheory

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The male died as well. Ugh heart breaking. They both must have been sick from the start
Colin_T

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't flush the tank out. The fish might have bred while they were in there.

Sometimes rainbowfish will spawn if they are really stressed and know they are going to die. Don't ask me why but it happens.

eg: We got 12 wild caught M. s. inornata (checkered rainbows) and put them in a tank. They were quite stressed and they were all dead the following day. We drained the water and refilled the tank and put a large pr of cichlids in the tank. A week later the tank was full of baby fish. It turned out the rainbows spawned before they died.

This has happened a number of times over the years (in aquariums and ponds) with different species of fish producing eggs and then dieing. I believe it is a survival instinct designed to try to keep the species alive. Basically the fish know they are going to die so spend the last of their energy producing eggs and sperm. The adults then die and the fertilised eggs are left in a puddle of water.

Down south I have come across numerous shallow ponds/ puddles of water that were drying out. These ponds had no live adult fish in but often had fry in. When we took damp mud samples from drying puddles and put it into containers of water, we got fry within 24-48 hours. A number of these puddles did have birds catching the fish and eating them, which explains no adult fish. However, a number of ponds were netted to prevent this. In the ponds that were covered with netting the adult fish died and were removed by us. And a week later there were fry in the puddles.

There is a possibility your signifer spawned before they died. If you haven't flushed the tank out, perhaps replace the water and wait a couple of weeks to see if anything appears Smile
martialtheory

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh oh, I did do some tank cleaning and then I put a pair of guppies in it. Ok I'm gonna try and see if I can salvage it somehow

That's very interesting. It makes a lot of sense as a last ditch survival tactic. I hope I got something still in there

Rainbowfish keeps getting more and more interesting
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Breeding All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: