Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rainbow set-up

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Rainbowfish General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pearlsjim

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:40 pm    Post subject: rainbow set-up Reply with quote

Hello all, I'm a newbie to this forum but i have some experience with other tropical fish. What I'd like to get some info on though is water chemistry and good selection on setting up a 29 gallon for a group of rainbows and other compatible companions. Thank you for your reply's
Colin_T

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi and welcome to the forum Smile

unless you are dealing with wild caught rainbowfish (unlikely unless you live in Australia or New guinea), you can keep them in water with a pH between 6.5 & 8.0, and a general hardness between 50ppm & 300ppm. Temperature between 22C & 30C.
I use to keep the pH around 7.5 and general hardness around 150ppm, but I also had rainbows in rift lake tanks with cichlids and the pH was close to 9.0 and hardness over 300ppm.
Wild caught Iriatherina werneri and Rhadinocentrus ornatus require slightly acidic water (pH around 6.0 to 7.0).
Lake dwelling rainbows like Melanotaenia boesemani come from alkaline water pH around 7.5 to 8.0.
Most other rainbows from rivers and creeks occur in water which fluctuates depending on the time of year. It can vary between 5.0 & 8.0, depending on rainfall and tannins.

The type of rainbowfish you keep will depend on what you like. In a 29gallon tank you could keep 10 or so adult rainbows that grow to 4inches long. You can keep them with most catfish, loaches, barbs, bigger tetras and smaller peaceful cichlids.

you can get more info and pictures of different species from Adrian's e-book (Adrian Tappin's: Rainbowfishes - Their care & keeping in captivity), found at the following link. It's a free download.
http://rainbow-fish.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1030
pearlsjim

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot Colin T for your reply, helps me figure out what I want to get...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Rainbowfish General All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: