Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maybe blue gularis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> New Acquisitions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
martialtheory

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:58 pm    Post subject: Maybe blue gularis Reply with quote

I picked up some killifish at a local fish club and I'm loving how easy they are. This guy was sold to me as a blue gularis but I can't find any that look like him. he's definitely bigger than gardneri, like almost 2 times as big

[/img]https://i.imgur.com/Dn4JAFD.png[img]

I also gotten a pair of gardneri nigerianus but one night I forgot to cover the tank and they jumped out. The good news is that at least I gotten a bunch of eggs before they died
Colin_T

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killifish, an under rated group of fishes that should be kept by more people. They have such nice colours (not as good as rainbows but not far off), and don't attack things or damage plants, and are easy to breed.

About the only drawback I can say about killifish is they don't live long enough, and if they grew to 4 inches they would be the ants pants Smile
mikev

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. They do attack things sometimes.

I had a very bad hatch of scripts geryi, only three.... did not feel like allocating a tank for them, so I put them with other fry.

End result: all other killie fry : killed off. rainbows fry : killed off. no losses on white clouds, but all of them were missing tails! (grew back once killies were removed). Killie fry incidentally was the same size as the others, so I did not expect trouble.

In nature, they kill other killie fry too, it is known that epis do not ever share the same pools as scripts... epis are killed off!

Not bad for a 3cm fish?

Incidentally, when adult they are very peaceful, even do not mind their own fry growing with them, no plant cover needed. But only one at a time, the babies kill smaller babies too.

===

Short lifespan... not really a problem given how easy to breed them. In fact, it is even possible to maintain some killies as guppies ... let them breed themselves.

Being lazy, I put a trio of nigerianus, these into a 10g half-filled with java moss. I have babies in the tank now, under the moss.

===

Blue gularis : I think they live 5+ years. Just too large a fish to consider for me.

Your photo shows a young male, the main attractive with these is the finnage... hopefully will develop before long. Not 100% sure applies to gularis but generally the rule is : to get finnage, large tank and only one male. (does apply to australe and lf makurdi nig.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> New Acquisitions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: