Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index
support and discussion forum for Rainbows

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the difference between mouth fungus and columnaris??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Disease & Problems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rainbowfishluvr82

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: What is the difference between mouth fungus and columnaris?? Reply with quote

I just got 4 goyder river rainbowfish shipped to me on Wednesday from a very reputable online retailer. After putting them in my tank I noticed that all 4 of them have some kind of disease but not 100% positive what I'm dealing with. Basically their mouths have white patches on them. I was certain it's mouth fungus but then I got worried it's columnaris. They are eating well and acting fine, have no other visible signs of illness and are schooling with my other rainbows. I did a 50% water change on Wednesday and dosed the tank worth kanaplex. Yesterday their mouths already looked better than the day before. I tried taking pics but they didn't come out well because they move to fast. I know columnaris is very serious and can wipe out a tank of not treated fast enough. All my other fish including rainbows are fine.
rainbowfishluvr82

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone???
Colin_T

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainbowfishes have soft mouths and often damage them when put into new tanks or bagged up for shipping. This can often show up as puffy lips or white patches.

True Fungus that affects their mouth will have white filaments sticking up and out of their mouth, where it has been damaged.

Columnaris (commonly called mouth fungus), is a bacterial infection that starts out as white inflammation and turning red while the lips and then mouth erode away. Columnaris is a very fast growing bacteria that kills within a few days to a week of the infection first being noticed. Whereas true Fungus will not kill a fish that quickly.

You can have bacterial and fungal infections on the same area of a fish (or any other animal for that matter). The bacteria and fungus generally gain access to the body through wounds or damaged areas.

If the fish are from a reputable supplier then it is probably just bruising and not Columnaris. However, aquarium water is loaded with bacteria, fungus, protozoans and all sorts of other nasties so even in a "clean tank", there is a possibility of the infection occurring, albeit a low possibility.

When I got new rainbowfishes I would add 1 heaped tablespoon of sea salt or rock salt for every 20litres (5 gallons) of tank water. I keep the salt level at this rate for a couple of weeks before diluting it out with partial water changes. Salt can reduce the number of harmful pathogens in the water and calm/ relax the fish. It is often a safer alternative to using antibiotics when you are not sure what the actual issue is. Having said that, since you have already started with Kanaplex, you may as well finish the dose (1 week treatment or whatever it is), and then see how they are.
rainbowfishluvr82

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back to me. I don't think it's columnaris. There are no filaments sticking up. I'm not sure it's fungus either. Maybe they got injured during shipping. I do not see any red on the lips either and I'm still dosing with kanaplex. The day after I did the first dose their mouths were already getting better. Also it hasn't spread to any other fish and I know columnaris can spread and wipe out a tank quickly. I'll keep to you posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rainbowfish Forum Forum Index -> Disease & Problems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: